Chronic venous insufficiency (CVI) affects many adults age 50 and above. It can cause significant health problems including pain, skin changes, and edema. It also causes chronic leg wounds known as venous stasis ulcers (VSU’s).
CVI is often caused by damage to the one-way valves in the veins in the legs. Damaged valves allow blood to flow backwards, increasing the pressure in the veins. The pressure causes fluid to leak out of the vein capillaries.
Edema accumulates, and can cause significant leg swelling. It slows oxygen and nutrient delivery to the tissues, while damage to blood vessels triggers inflammation.
Skin changes occur, including hardening (fibrosis), pigmentation, stasis dermatitis (itchy, flaky skin), and skin breakdown. Venous stasis ulcers develop.
Treatments for CVI and Venous Stasis Ulcers (Wounds)
Static compression is the most common form of treatment. This includes compression stockings and bandaging.
Intermittent pneumatic compression therapy (IPC) is another method to treat CVI and leg ulcers and Lympha Press is the right system for that !
Lympha Press® treats CVI by:
- Increasing venous blood return. This reduces the production of edema fluid and helps prevent further damage to veins.
- Increasing lymph transport. This removes edema.
- Moving edema proximally toward functional lymph vessels. This enables edema removal when the local vessels are damaged by inflammation.
Lympha Press® speeds healing of venous stasis ulcers and prevents their recurrence by:
- Increasing oxygenation to the wound bed. Increased oxygenation helps the wound to heal.
- Assisting wound closure by reducing the swelling that keeps the wound edges apart.
- Increasing venous return during the daily treatment sessions.
A treatment plan including Lympha Press® can prevent progression and heal ulcers.
Lympha Press® is easy to use at home, as part of a total care plan including static compression (such as compression stockings) and wound care.
Lympha Press® reduces edema significantly, and can be used daily to improve venous circulation and prevent progression.
Lympha Press PCD-51 ™ is designed to treat CVI edema. It provides accurate pressure and automatic or user-selected pause, to ensure complete deflation for vascular refill in between compression waves.
Our garments are also designed for treating CVI. Our unique single patient use Personal™ garments are designed for comfort use !